The fountain has already featured on the blog, as part of the investigation into the Léon Gambetta monument which was the centrepiece of the Allées de Tourny throughout much of the 20th century. At the time, the Allées were bookended by two ornate fountains which were first installed there in 1857. Just like the Gambetta monument, the fountains were removed during the 1960s overhaul of the esplanade (the main aim of which was to install an underground car park). As their upkeep was considered too costly, the fountains would never return.
|Further views of the fountain in front of the Québec province's parliamentary building, and part of the accompanying plaque.|
|The Allées de Tourny as they looked when they were bookended by the two fountains. On both pictures, the Léon Gambetta monument can be spotted towards the middle of the esplanade.|
That is where the fountain - still in pieces and in very poor condition - was spotted and acquired in 2003 by Peter Simons, manager of the Québecois clothing outlet Simons. As well as its purchase, Simons financed its restoration (this all added up to 4 million Canadian dollars) and, in October 2004, Peter Simons announced that they would donate the fountain to Québec City to celebrate the city’s 400th anniversary while also underlining the company’s appreciation of the city and its people, who had contributed to Simons’ success since being founded in 1840.
|As reported in 2015, the twin fountain in Soulac-sur-Mer, isn't in such great shape.|
|Québec's Fontaine de Tourny by night. The famous Édifice Price building is visible in the background.|